Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Why Hodor is the best written character almost ever: Game of Thrones Spoiler!

Spoiler Alert!!!
That being said, episode 5 season 6 of Game of Thrones is quite possibly the best example of a well written "thing" ever.  Ok, so that may be a little over the top but it was damn good!

From the first time I ever saw Game of Thrones, I was fascinated by Hodor.  For those of you who do not know, he is the character who says nothing but "Hodor" for the duration of the show.  He is considered a big, simple minded, oaf who is assigned to protect and carry (literally) Bran Stark, the Stark child who was paralyzed after falling from the tower after seeing blah, blah, blah...

Hodor conveyed a lot of emotion, understanding, and gravity just by saying "hodor" over and over again, with no other line.  It was like the Smurf thing taken to its ultimate.  Let's think about it, though.  I am horrible to watch anything with because I am all about slipping in and out of the suspension of disbelief.  I admit it.  I will also admit that with everything else going, I nearly forgot Hodor even existed until a few episodes ago when we see Hodor aka Willis as a child hanging around the stables at Winterfell.  As soon as we see him though, I knew.  I knew that we were going to find out why he is called Hodor and why that is all he can say.

I have to say that six years is a long time to wait for the revelation of a gag, but it was worth it.  You never know how complex these things are until you have to write this stuff out, but long story short but they have to flee a cave and because Bran is a time traveling day dreaming douche, Hodor has to hold the door against the evil white walkers who are chasing them,  We assume he dies, holding the door, so that his friends can get away.

So what does this tell us.  Within the story, it tells us that Bran is a dick, #daydreamingdouche  Outside of the story it gives me hope.  In a meta way, we know that since they knew from the very first episode, that that was how Hodor was going to meet his end.  Six or seven years is a long LONG way to go for a gag (another admission, I have never and will probably never read the book and it probably said the whole thing, but...)

Th idea is that people thought about this and knew.  We know that they the writers know what is going to happen.  I was able to put pause on my suspension of disbelief and really think about the trajectory of the show.  It was a sense that I never got with Lost.  It was a sense that I got the opposite of with most movies.  Someone, somewhere, right now knows who is going to take the Iron Throne and that makes me happy,

No comments:

Post a Comment