Thursday, May 5, 2016

If I had a nickel for every line I stole from Nate DiMeo

If I had a nickel for every time I stole one of Nate DiMeo's lines from The Memory Palace.  If I could tell you how many times I managed to pull one of the random facts that so effortlessly weaves into his podcast or how deftly he sets the tone and emotion of what he is talking about.  If I had a nickel for just those things...I would probably have a dollar or two.
Nate does what a lot of podcasts do, impart knowledge.  What makes his different is the poetry that he brings to the internet.  The way he has of transporting the listener to the exotic and sometimes not so exotic places he talks about.  The way he takes you to that time, either recent, or long ago.  Listen to the podcast and you feel like you are in that place, in that time.
Nate DiMeo has a pattern, a rhythm. 
 He has a way of speaking that imprints on your brain, and for a little while after listening, you find yourself speaking like him; 
in hushed tones of recollection and reverie... In sentences that seem to trail off and allow you, the listener to complete the thought.
I listened to Episode 72 over and over again just for the line at 2:29 
and Episode 70  just for the line at 1:46.

For The Memory Palace, a destination podcast for me, that comes out every other week, I recommend you listen without a drink...at first.  Then listen again.  The second time do so with a good idea of what you are going to hear again and how much you liked or disliked it.  Think about the content of the story and what he is saying.  The Memory Palace is never beer and is never Tequila.  Because the stories are so varied, we recommend a nice whiskey, smokey and deep, or a vodka, crisp and clean, or a piney gin.  Either of these will fit any story but they must always be neat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment